You’ve read the posts. You’ve heard the hype. You can’t wait any longer to see what can be done with WPF. Now what?
Install the runtime
First, you need to install the .NET 3.0 framework. This framework includes all the files your computer needs to run any .NET 2.0 or .NET 3.0 application. It shouldn’t take more than ten minutes or so to download the installer and install the updates.
.NET 3.0 Redistributable Package: Free Download Here
What can you view after you’ve install the .NET 3.0 framework?
- Self contained XAML files (*.xaml)
- Sometimes called loose xaml
- Double-click the xaml file and it runs in IE.
- XBAP application
- XBAPs are WPF applications that are compiled to run in IE.
- XBAP can be more complex than loose XAML files, example navigating through many XAML pages
- WPF exes. Normal .NET assemblies compiled into an EXE file
Note: I’ve already received some emails asking how to open the sample WPF and WPFe applications. I know this will be a common question in the future so I’ve added a couple of static pages to this site where I will post this information. Kinda like a mini-FAQ.